- The Club shall be called ‘The Stumperlowe Probus Club (Sheffield)’
2. The Club shall meet every Monday (or as agreed), with the exception of Bank
Holidays, at 10 am for 10.30am.
3. To comply with fire regulations, members and guests will sign in.
4. Membership of the club is open to retired and semi-retired professional and business
men residing in Sheffield and its neighbourhood.
5. Applications for membership should be made to the Secretary and are subject to the
approval of the Committee, whose decision is final.
6. As required, the Committee will put a cap on membership numbers and start a waiting
list as necessary.
7. A prospective member on the waiting list may attend meetings as a guest up to
three times, and more at the discretion of the Chairman.
8. Members who break the rules or act against the spirit of the club will be reported to the
committee and disciplinary action may be taken against them.
9. A member may bring a guest(s), including ladies, not more than three times in each
financial year to ordinary meetings.
10. Members of other Probus clubs are welcome as guests.
CLUB YEAR AND ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
11. The Club financial year shall end on 31st March.
12. The Annual General Meeting shall be held during May, or as agreed. The Committee
shall give three workings weeks’ notice of the meeting. Agenda items from members
should be submitted within seven days of the convening notice.
13. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called at any time by the Secretary at the
request, in writing, of at least ten members of the Club. At least 21 days’ notice of
such a meeting shall be given to members.
14 . The governing body of the Club shall be the Committee consisting of the Officers
And the committee members, all elected at the A.G.M
15. The Officers of the club shall be:-
Chairman Term of office normally two years
Vice-Chairman Term of office normally two years and elected Chairman
the ensuing year
Past Chairman Term of office normally two years
Secretary To be re-elected annually
Treasurer To be re-elected annually
Three Speaker Finders Term of office normally three years
Webmaster To be re-elected annually
16. Up to 2 members shall be elected to serve on the committee, normally for a
period of three years and be re-elected annually.
17. The Committee has the power to co-opt members onto the committee to fill any
vacancies during the year. Such members should stand for re-election, if eligible,
at the following AGM.
18. Five members of the Committee shall form a quorum.
19. The Chairman at any meeting shall have the casting vote.
20. Annual subscriptions shall be reviewed at each AGM and set for the ensuing year.
21. The Committee will decide on any subsidies or contributions to club events e.g. trips,
lunches. Such subsidies should be advised and controlled by the Treasurer.
22. The Annual Subscription is payable immediately following the AGM. Those who have
not paid after four weeks will be contacted by the Chairman or Treasurer to determine
if they will be re-joining.
23. A member joining the Club during the year will pay pro rata depending on the number
of months left in the financial year.
24. Payments made from the Club’s bank account fall primarily to the Treasurer, or can be
made by the Secretary, and are normally made through electronic banking (internet or
app based). The Treasurer is to obtain agreement with another committee member in
the case where an individual payment involves a new payee and the amount is for more
25. If the Club is disbanded, any balance which remains in the club’s assets after paying all
debts shall be donated to such charitable cause(s) as the committee shall select.
26. An Independent Examiner who shall not be a member of the Committee shall be
appointed at each AGM. The Independent Examiner shall inspect the club’s annual
accounts in advance of their presentation at each AGM and shall verify that they are run
with due financial propriety in achieving the Club’s objectives.
27. The Club will have a website which will be designed and updated by the Webmaster.
All contributions and comments regarding the website will be directed to the Webmaster.
The Committee will work with the Webmaster to ensure the website reflects the views of
28. To ensure continuity, the Webmaster will give the Secretary the relevant information
for accessing the website should the Webmaster not be available.
AMENDMENTS TO RULES
29. Amendments to these rules may only be made at a General Meeting, after due notice of
such amendments has been given for a period of three working weeks prior to the
These rules and constitution were agreed at the 2023 AGM